Sunday, August 17, 2008

Can Coffee Grounds Help You Get Rid of Cellulite?

You know, as I go along and research more and more ways to get rid of cellulite, I come across some fascinating ideas and methods for cellulite reduction that I honestly never would have even thought to put together. The more I study, the more I realize that there are several tools you can implement in your anti cellulite arsenal that at first glance may seem somewhat unconventional, but my mindset is that as long as it gets the job done, I’m all for it. Even though I haven’t intentionally tried to stay away from focusing on anti cellulite products such as cellulite creams or lotions, I have found myself leaning more towards organic or naturally-based solutions for cellulite reduction…pretty much anything with the holistic vibe is what I’ve ended up taking a liking to. So please forgive me if it seems as though I have neglected some of the more popular means to get rid of cellulite; I’m just traveling down the holistic road for the time being, but I have nothing against a possible change of course in the future.

One of these somewhat holistic methods to get rid of cellulite that has recently come to my attention is the use of coffee grounds to treat cellulite. I’m much more familiar with coffee in the form of a Grande Caramel Frappuccino from Starbucks, so this was definitely news to me. Evidently, coffee is also quite useful as a means to help reduce the appearance of cellulite. Let me emphasize that I have not personally attempted this method as of yet, and I haven’t done enough research to know whether or not there is clinical evidence to back up this claim, but there are several websites and places around the Web that endorse the whole coffee grounds method, so I felt that it would definitely be worth a mention on this blog. Now if you’re like me, you may have been thinking of the benefits of coffee only being maybe giving you a “boost” to do some anti cellulite exercises, but the coffee grinds themselves actually carry a benefit that’s somewhat unfamiliar to most people, but pretty cool in my opinion. The main reason why the coffee grinds are useful is not due to the grinds themselves (although there is an ancillary benefit to their granular nature), but rather what they contain: Caffeine, the wonder-drug.

Caffeine and Cellulite

Technically speaking, caffeine is a xanthine alkaloid that acts as a stimulant and diuretic (thanks, Wikipedia). Where caffeine and cellulite meet is the ability of caffeine to improve blood flow, which makes caffeine similar to aminophylline and other drugs that are used to treat conditions like bronchial asthma. Caffeine’s ability to facilitate better blood flow is basically another way to…guess what…improve circulation, which if you’re familiar with my past posts to any degree, you’ll know I’ve been preaching the “circulation gospel” for a long time, as far as where its effect on cellulite formation is concerned. The very nature of cellulite (can you say, stubborn?) makes it a candidate for inadequate blood supply, simply because it is stored fat. This is why caffeine can be such an effective substance to employ, because it can increase the blood flow and blood supply to those problem areas where cellulite has “dug its heels in”, and increase the vascularization of those regions, thereby chipping away (so to speak) at those stubborn fat pockets and minimizing their detrimental effects. At the end of the day, the power of caffeine is its ability to “get things moving”, so to speak, increase blood flow, which, as previously mentioned, is an essential step that improves circulation, which also facilitates better lymphatic drainage, which in turn makes it that much harder for cellulite to form. Wow, what a serious run-on sentence that was!

The Cellulite Coffee Scrub

I’m sure you may be asking, “How can I get caffeine to reduce my cellulite? Do I just drink coffee or something?” Actually, drinking your regular cup of Joe doesn’t aid in cellulite reduction; it hinders it due to the diuretic properties of caffeine. So what’s the catch? Using the actual coffee grounds is where the power is at. Basically, you can create somewhat of a “homemade” cellulite cream using any regular body lotion and coffee grounds. Before you try this, make sure that you are using caffeinated coffee grounds! Don’t pick a decaf coffee, because the “magic” is in the caffeine. Simply crush the coffee grinds into a fine powder (by any means necessary), and then mix them into the body lotion. With these two steps, you have basically created a makeshift coffee-based cellulite lotion that you can then apply to any problem areas. Spread it on the areas that are the “usual suspects” for cellulite development (legs, hips, thighs, buttocks, etc.), let it sit for about a minute, and then rinse it off while you’re in the shower. After repeated applications (and you have to do it consistently every day), you will begin to see your skin take on a more firm and smooth appearance…much better than the old “orange peel” look. This is all there really is to it…I’m just happy that I have discovered yet another potential weapon to use to get rid of cellulite.

1 comment:

Sleepyglowstar said...

Im about to try this. Ive been meaning to do it so today is the time. Apparently cold showers aid in circulation too. Wish me luck!