Sunday, October 19, 2008

What Kind of Foods Help You Get Rid of Cellulite?

It’s been a while since I have posted here at Getting Rid of Cellulite; my work obligations have changed, and I’m just plain busy, more than I have ever been before. It’s not the easiest task in the world, especially when you are attempting to do research on different cellulite reduction methods, or basically anything that can lead to helping people get rid of cellulite. Until Bath & Body Works (or someone like that) comes up with a lotion that can miraculously eliminate the appearance of those cottage cheese thighs, we’re going to have to look at the most practical means to effectively dealing with the cellulite problem. While I know that there are lotions and creams on the market that claim to reduce cellulite, I cannot speak from first-hand experience on these yet, so I have been relegated to only addressing cellulite reduction (at least our attempts at it anyway) from a more holistic, natural, even “organic” perspective. Am I trying to “go green” with my cellulite reduction research? Not exactly; it’s more of a case of simply going with what’s more familiar to me, versus going out into uncharted waters, so to speak. I have always been interested in taking care of my body through proper nutrition, diet and exercise, and when the first post ideas for this blog started coming to my head, it was simply easier for me to start off in familiar territory, in coming from a nutritional and natural perspective. I have thoroughly enjoyed doing the research on different cellulite treatments such as endermologie, ionithermie, and mesotherapy, and sharing what I’ve learned with you guys. One of the things that I constantly find myself going back to, however, is the nutritional aspect, and how it plays a part in the formation of cellulite, or the prevention of cellulite. I have always held the belief that most diseases, ailments, and physical infirmities come from poor nutrition. Think about it: the old saying “You are what you eat” definitely applies here…if you put garbage in, you’re going to get garbage out. That’s why, again, I will always preach the “gospel of water” to everyone who wants to learn about getting rid of cellulite. Water is the first and foremost staple of a diet that will be conducive to cellulite reduction. Water will keep the skin healthy and supple, and will greatly aid in flushing out a lot of the toxins that can be big-time culprits to damaging the connective tissue that maintains the skin’s firmness, consequently creating the “hail damage” look. One of these toxins that you have to avoid is alcohol. Alcohol, by its very makeup, is an astringent, or a drying agent. Think about it: When you drink excessive amounts of alcohol, you are literally drying yourself up from the inside out. You are dehydrating yourself at the cellular level…this is NOT good. This is why many alcoholics end up with cirrhosis of the liver, because they have passed so much alcohol through their liver that they literally dried the liver up, making it almost like a brick. Obviously, if alcohol can cause damage up to this extreme, it can definitely wreak havoc on your body’s cells, particularly fat cells. Once these fat cells can no longer be supported by healthy connective tissue, due to the tissue being damaged through dehydration, they will compress and literally break the surrounding tissue down, creating the uneven look on the surface of the skin. So unfortunately for those of you who like to “hit the bottle” on a regular basis, this is one of the risks that you’ll run as a result.

So anyway, before I get off on a huge tangent about the effects of alcohol on the body, I might as well finally get to the point of this particular post, which is naming some foods that help you get rid of cellulite. One of the things you’ll notice about all the foods I’ll mention is that they all have either cleansing/detoxifying properties, or a potent nutritional benefit that will be good for the skin and all-around health. The first one is any type of leafy green vegetables, such as collard greens, turnip greens and the like. They are rich in iron and good sources of calcium as well, and they have great fiber content (important for healthy skin). Also consider any type of lentils, red beans, and other similar legumes. You can never go wrong with beans. Apples and blueberries are great for hydration purposes; blueberries in particular are considered a “power food” due to the cleansing properties they contain. Also remember to regularly consume any type of fish with Omega-3 fatty acids; these are essential to the health of the skin. Examples of high-Omega-3-containing fish are salmon, tuna and mackerel.

Well, this post is actually longer than I originally imagined it was going to be; it’s funny how I will try to say something in somewhat of a “summary” format, but end up going on some huge dissertation. I guess I’m just long-winded when it comes to this topic. At any rate, hopefully this will at least give you some food (no pun intended) for thought as to what types of foods can help you get rid of cellulite. Until we meet again...

No comments: